Sunday, January 15, 2012

La Nina Made Me Do It

I love snow. I adore it. I long for it. It keeps winter interesting. I don't like 18 inches in a storm. About six is good--it makes everything quiet and pretty, it isn't impossible to shovel...it's a good amount. Due to stupid weather patterns this year it looks like we won't be seeing many flakes, if any at all (which I guess is fine since for the past few years we got hit with a few hefty storms). So I had to take matters into my own hands and make my own snow. It's inside too, which is better because I don't have to bundle up to see it.

This was maybe one of the easiest things to make ever. It's not even really made so much as hung up... I apologize for the dimmish photos--this window in the kitchen is awful for taking photos near - no matter the time of day or year the lighting just doesn't work.


The little puffballs are a few pom-poms strung up on thread. The friction of the two keeps the pom-poms from sliding down. The larger flakes are glitter covered plastic flakes I got at Michael's for a dollar, strung on varying lengths of thread.

The photos are horrible, but when you see it in actuality there is a hint of gift-shop-wiindow-at-Christmas about it. This actually would have been monumentally better in the window over our Christmas decor but better late than never.


Even my dad came in and said "Wow, that looks really pretty!" He usually doesn't comment unless you're shoving what you made in his face and saying "Look at this and comment!!" (aren't most men like this?).


Here's how it looks a bit from afar - you can see how it all delicately hangs --


I walked into the kitchen late last night, and the recessed lights set up in the 'ceiling' of the window made it look so pretty - almost as though you were watching snow falling outside, gently lit by a street light. No picture - I couldn't get it to show up without the harsh flash, which would defeat the purpose.

My original plan was to crochet a bunch of snowflakes and hang them up but I got really bored, so I made four. They didn't look that good with the others hanging up there, so they're just stuck to the window right now.


I love how the light shows through, and makes it look like it's glowing :)

I don't really have much else to share. I think I inhaled a pound of glitter this afternoon, and I'm hoping that craft works out well because if it doesn't it's going to be extremely annoying to be coughing up glitter in August. I've been chugging through some sewing, but nothing too fun. My first repeat of my rainbow ripple is done. I've kind of been lazing about all weekend, eating candy, drinking tea, and forcing the dog to snuggle with me. How am I ever going to get up the will to go to work tomorrow?

Linking up here:

18 comments:

  1. I love it! I usually do something similar for January. I can't stand to have no decorations, but this January has been so hot (50s and 60s) that I just haven't felt winterish so we are bare until I pull out the Valentine's Day decor - in just another week or so.

    The photo of your crocheted snowflake is really darling. The light IS gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your idea is really pretty. I have a friend who use to out do herself with decorating for the holidays and she use to hang cookie cutters from her kitchen valance. I love your crocheted snowflakes. Did you make up the pattern? I have a skein of white yarn with a silver thread running through it, that would be pretty for making snowflakes. Imagine how pretty with the sun shining on that. Thanks for sharing.
    (((HUGS))) Susanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are sooo pretty! I miss the snow, what a perfect idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your "snowfall"! I did that once in my living room. My hubs thought I was crazy hanging all those plastic snowflakes from the ceiling until it was all done.

    He thought it was neat and I though it cheered up those dark, dreary January nights.

    Stopping by from Craftomaniac!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty. I'm starting to think you're good at window display.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so agree: I too love snow when it makes everything peaceful and quiet. In fact this is what we had here last winter (i.e. Nov 2010) and it was lovely. Well, as an alternative, your snowflakes look beautiful and I would be really happy to have lots of them hanging at my window :-)

    Hope Monday was ok for you and wishing you a lovely week ahead xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just what these gray days need - I think it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bwahaha, DIY snow, love it! I have to say, my will to get up for work today was somewhat diminished...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love it!! It's darling sweet!! Love how the light affects your snowflakes!! I'm kinda lazy too... I have like a bazillion things in my head..but I'm too lazy to get them to work!!!
    Maybe this weekend...will see!!!
    Have a great week:D

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love it!! It's darling sweet!! Love how the light affects your snowflakes!! I'm kinda lazy too... I have like a bazillion things in my head..but I'm too lazy to get them to work!!!
    Maybe this weekend...will see!!!
    Have a great week:D

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea! Snow without being COLD! I'd love for you to link up to my new Thematic Thursday meme. The theme this week is Winter and this would be a perfect addition. I'm a new follower now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute! I wouldn't even have to shovel this snow :-)

    Thank-you so much for taking the time to share at our Pin'Inspiration party this week. I really hope that you can take part in my "Beat the Winter Blues" party on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So cute! I like to keep winter decorations up through January. Not Christmasy so much, but snowflakes and snowmen and things. I found you through Sumo's Sweet Stuff. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the glow too.. I am a snow lover.. These snowflakes look so pretty
    Thanks for linking up!
    Hani

    ReplyDelete
  15. great job! love it! Thanks for linking up to the Tuesday Talent Show! I hope to see you again next Tuesday!
    -Nikki
    Chef in Training
    http://www.chef-in-training.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...