Wednesday, January 18, 2012

My First Fail of 2012

Over the weekend I was working on what was supposed to be a cute little Valentine's Day project. I had sorted out another tutorial I was working on (you'll get to see that next week), and was in that mode of "I can make ANYthing!" I have been largely uninspired thus far by what is out for V-day crafting. So I got this "bright" sparkly idea... It's not really a fail but it's pushing it...it's definitely a 'not how I imagined it' kind of thing...

Sooo....I bought a package of heart shaped doilies, and some fine red glitter. I had a 3-D heart shaped idea in my head but it was way too messy so I went in another direction. I didn't exactly know WHICH direction but I figured I'd figure it out as I went along. I sprayed Elmer's spray adhesive on the doilies and generously sprinkled them with glitter. My mother said, and this is a direct quote, "You're putting glitter on doilies and calling it a project?" At this point I had no idea what I was really aiming for but I kept plodding along.


When I have no idea what to do with something I've made a bunch of I will invariably say "I'm going to string it up and make a garland!!" So I took some jute (twine?) and strung them up, and used some cute old-school thumbtacks I found in the junk drawer:


It was too bland. So I wrote some Valentiney sayings on scrapbook paper and pinned them up with miniature red clothespins -


Haha--that was the last one I made--I was running out of ideas.


So, yeah...not awful. But not fabulous. The worst part? I had glitter in my underwear and up my nose, I had to soak and scrub my hands forEVer to get the glue and glitter off, and you know what? The FREAKin' glitter is 'raining' off of the hearts. You can see how some of the edges are bare... it's quite annoying. I should have remembered my glitter misadventures from when I was younger. I love the stuff, but it clearly despises me.

How has your crafting been thus far? Had any botched jobs yet?

7 comments:

  1. That doesn't seem too bad to me. I don't know if I'd consider it a craft fail when a project doesn't turn out the way we envision it. Maybe we should come up with a better phrase...

    Anyway, I've been pretty luck with my crafting endeavors so far *knock on wood* but there's still a lot of the year left and I'm sure I'll screw something up here eventually :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You crack me up! Any excuse to snort glue eh ;-) Kidding! It doesn't look too bad, honestly. And I'm sure the lucky reciever will love your efforts all the same.
    Esther.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shouldn't but I'm racking my brain figuring out how the glitter went into your undies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It may not have turned out the way you envisioned, but it's still cute! I am anti-glitter. It never stays stuck to glue. I have proof of this every day when I pick up my daughter from daycare and I become unwillingly sparkly as she thrusts her latest glittery art project into my hands.

    We have discovered glitter glue. If you put some on paper (especially something with texture) and rub it in, you get a sparkle that sticks. My older daughter actually taught me this trick. It's a more subtle sparkle than straight up glitter, but a pretty effect nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is cute, but I, for one, stay far, far away from glitter!!!!
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heh, I'm laughing just a bit at the 'fail' sentiment, while your last pic has a 'Keep calm and carry on' card/poster in it ;o)

    It's an interesting idea, but I am also firmly in the 'avoid like the plague' camp over glitter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it turned out cute! I am wondering how the glitter made its way into your undies....lol :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...