Thursday, February 2, 2017

Corner to Corner Baby Blanket

A few months ago I bought a butt ton of yarn for a special project. It was mostly shades of gray, a little bit of black, and then a ton of white. I had a wacky project planned for someone. Did you ever do that? Have the idea, the materials, and the motivation for something really difficult and unique and special, and then the person for whom the project was intended disappoints you so deeply that they not only don't deserve something with such spirit behind it, but don't even deserve further thought from you at all?

So I was left with a lot of beautiful yarn (I didn't spend a ton on it, but as I'm endeavoring to use my stash this certainly put a fly in that particular ointment), much of it white. While the larger afghan I have envisioned will make excellent use of this yarn, there was no way I was incorporating that much white into it. I did, however, have enough to make a baby blanket (and still have plenty of white left over).


I made a basic corner-to-corner blanket. I stitched until it was going to be about one yard square, and then decreased.


I love the simplicity and ease of this stitch. Once you get going you can pretty much fly through it without looking, but it did take me a bit to get the hang of it again (I made one several years ago).


As I don't have anybody in mind to give this to right now, I didn't want to do a border that was too frilly in case it doesn't go to a girl, so I went with a basic half-double crochet border, just one round. 


The yarn is one I've never used before, but am now in love with. It is Scheepjes Colour Crafter in Weert (which, I assume is Dutch for white, because I have a marvelous grasp of what seems to be the obvious). It's a DK weight acrylic, but is oh so soft, with no splitting or pilling or anything annoying like that. Just straight frothy deliciousness.


So that's that. A gift in store if I need one, and a dent in my stash.

10 comments:

  1. That is delightful! I love simple white baby blankets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Weert is a town in The Netherlands, all the Colour Crafter colours are named after Dutch and Belgian towns (fun to Google, trust me). White in Dutch is simply 'wit'. Easy, huh! I do like your blanket, and yes I've been dissapointed by people too, so now I speciically ask if they would appreciate something handmade and I do appreciate if people tell me up front 'nope, not my thing' (Great, then I will spend two minutes at Ikea for you!). Your blanket however, is very pretty. I love working with Colour Crafter too, my last Funky Fifties blanket was made with it too. A baby will come along soon that will deserve and love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I have to go do a lot of google translating to see 'where' I bought, haha!

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous baby blanket! I like the stitch you used too, not sure I have seen that one before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH I so get that.. I only do for myself now or charity..Did large afghans for four nieces and nephews only to have the mom boil them when she thought they had lice. Yes I said boil. .They were ruined. All my hard work...Needless to say never again. The corner to corner is one of my very favorites. I also like sideways shell from project Linus both are my fall back on patterns. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read a thing once that said "Don't make anything for your mate until you're married." I'm just glad I barely had a start on it--there was no way ever I'd have been able to regift/repurpose this.

      Delete
  5. It's beautiful, and the perfect sort of baby project to have stashed away :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't suppose it gets more gender neutral than white--I hope I need to gift it soon :)

      Delete
  6. C2C is a technique I've been wanting to try. I like how it looks all in white. I'm sorry to hear about your big disappointment, but glad you are finding ways to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...